Tuesday, November 11, 2008

pick a side man.


I find the movie poster quote interesting. "It's the hottest day of the summer, You can do nothing, you can do something, or you can do the right thing." It makes me wonder about the movie even more. Because this movie leaves you questioning it, not with answers. This movie, Do the Right Thing, is based in Brooklyn in 1989.

The question the movie brings up since the first 5 minutes of the movie is the balence between the view points of Martin Luther King and Malcom X. Instead of the movie showing both sides of the arguement, I rather it be slightly bias. I'm not sure why, but I think I would enjoy the movie more either arguing with or agreeing with the movie.

The scene in this movie that made it unforgetable was starting when Sal (Danny Ailleo) told Mookie (Spike Lee) that he was part of their Italian family (business). Next thing you know, two boys who were just plain loud and obnoxious came in and disruppted the store. Sal ended up smashing Radio Rahiem's radio. Sal didnt need to go that far, but that was his raw emotions. Next thing you know, agressive anger vs agressive anger means fighting. But the first mind-blowing scene was when the police officers came, strangled and killed Radio Raheim. Right after that, Mookie, family, threw a trash can into the store and a riot started. That was just as shocking. But for me, it wasnt the fact that he was destroying property; it was the fact that he was destroying family.

However, my reaction is different from people in the 1990's because watching it now and knowing history, I knew that these events have happened, and I wasnt surprised. But at the same time I gasped and was shocked at the fact that he was strangled. On the other side of the argument, he was trying to kill someone else. He probably would have been tried for a death sentence anyway. But the fact that you would destroy your boss' store is shocking too. On top of that, he wasn't destroying Sal's place because of Sal but because he was mad at the police officers, which Sal had started the fight. I dont understand why Sal should get the blame for something the police did. Sal was defenseless against Radio Rahiem anyway. I'm not sure if either one could be justified. And when you see the riot happen, you realize that it shows what happens with violence (Malcom X). But it also leads the viewer to their own imagination about what could of happened if this was all nonviolence. (MLK)

I honestly think that if Mookie would have stop and thought, he would of realized how violence, in the end didnt solve anything. It didnt bring Radio Rahiem back. It didnt bring back Buggin Out. And it certainly did not change neither the police officers nor Sal's minds about what happened. I obviously support nonviolence because I think breaking a window will only create more violence, which it did.

No comments: