Wednesday, September 17, 2008

How To Do The Asian Squat

As an Asian... this really made me wonder about how true this was. I mean, I guess I subconsciously noticed that Asians squated differently. But... so differently that someone needs to make a short out of it? But, thats the point - to get people to notice these small cultural differences in a funny way.
Don't get me wrong - this was a pretty funny video. It was pretty ridiculous with the penny going under the shoe and the squat theory book. I'm not a fan of that kind of stuff.
But other then that... the whole short is true. "Western" squating does hurt after a while. And everyone in China, does squat like that if there are no seats available.
But this is going to make me very aware everytime I go into Flushing or Chinatown now - maybe even at home when my grandma chops chicken on the floor.
Asians have a whole different culture, so I guess this is why its so easy to make so many parodies of the culture. I had fun with this short and hope to see more.

If you liked this I recommend: Yellow Fever, by Wongfu Productions.
Its a short about how you always see a white guy with an asian girl, but never an asian guy with a white girl. It's video that a video group did for fun when they just started in college.

No comments: